How To Activate Your Intuition
You’ll see the subject of this message is how to activate your intuition, not how to become intuitive. This implies that intuition is already coded within you. In fact, it’s firing off its subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) signals 24/7. Whether or not you are tuned to receive these very real frequencies is another story. Yep, you’re kind of like an instrument!🎺
‘Insight is not a lightbulb that goes off inside our heads. It is a flickering candle that can easily be snuffed out. ‘
– Malcolm Gladwell, Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking
What is intuition?
According to Merriam-Webster dictionary the definition of intuition is:
- the power or faculty of attaining to direct knowledge or cognition without evident rational thought and inference
- immediate apprehension or cognition
- knowledge or conviction gained by intuition
- quick and ready insight
Intuition is a ‘hunch’, a gut feeling, a ‘sixth sense’, an inkling… you know… that thing…
Why is intuition important?🧐
Take a moment and think back to a time when something you showed up in your life unexpectedly. An example includes thinking about a person and that person showed up. Or having a dream about something and then seeing a symbol or image from your dream or experiencing vague aspects of that dream in real life. A feeling of Deja-Vu. Maybe you envisioned your dream job or relationship and manifested it…
Or, perhaps it’s the opposite. Was there a time when you worried about a particular outcome to a situation and the very thing you were worrying about is the thing that ended up happening?! Or am I the only one?😫
Our worries are like wishes. They carry a frequency, and if you believe that your thoughts create your reality, well there ya go! If you’re anything like me, there are likely MANY times that you have had a certain feeling about something that eventually turned out exactly how you had envisioned it would… It’s as if you already knew. (Hello, red flags!)🚩🚩🚩
These seemingly ‘random’ occurrences are actually not random at all, and when you are tuned in to your intuitive capabilities, you will notice these mysterious and synchronistic occurrences happening more often.
You’ve likely heard the term ‘six degrees of separation’ — well, when your intuition is on point, you’ll notice it’s more like 1 degree, if even! Everything is connected and you are a part of an intricate perfectly woven network of life. Living life intuitively is a liberating path which alleviates the anxiety of feeling like you’re alone in your efforts. When you allow your intuition to share the driver’s seat, you will feel more relaxed, guided and supported in your life. Oh, and did I mention it’s literally SO MUCH FUN?!🥳
I’ve always been highly intuitive; the only issue is that I was unaware of it. I ignored my higher awareness and because of that, would frequently find myself in situations that I initially knew were not aligned but somehow I thought I could think my way into it. I didn’t trust my intuition. My mind was overriding my gut.
During my first yoga teacher training when we learned about the seven Chakras, I was totally not into it. I wanted facts, and if I couldn’t understand a concept logically and tangibly I pretty much considered it jargon. Thankfully my soul was taking notes! Throughout my training, I was keeping a journal. This was something my teachers strongly suggested we do as a form of self-reflection. In my journal, I would write down my feelings, thoughts and desires for the future. Pretty much whatever came to mind I would jot it down in my journal. It wasn’t until years later when I found the dusty journal underneath my bed that I read the words I had written and literally everything I had put on paper had manifested in my life. [insert goosebumps] Some of my writing included: my desire to live in a warm climate, to teach yoga as a full time job, to be able to work from anywhere in the world… Here’s a clip of my journal for PROOF OF MAGIC…
In order to be present to these mystical forces, we must take proper care of ourselves and ‘tune our body/mind instruments’ in order to receive these epic downloads!
Here are some of my favorite practices for you to explore in order to bring your intuitive superpowers to the surface:
Whether or not you believe you can or believe you can’t, you’re right.
— Henry Ford
I meannnnn… do I need to explain more? Mystical realms will not reveal themselves to the skeptical mind. Your willingness to be curious and open to new ways of perceiving reality is the number one ingredient needed to ignite this flow.
If you want to build a healthy bond with your ‘inner GPS system’ you first must disconnect from the outside radio waves. And a little bit goes a long way. We live in an ever-evolving digital world. It has tremendous benefits yet if not utilized mindfully can also have many negative consequences on our energy field and ability to channel higher wisdom. In order to protect yourself and harness your intuitive abilities here are some helpful tips and suggestions:
- Put your phone in airplane mode at night
- Make sure the wireless router is not in the same room as where you sleep.
- Limit your time on social media. Think of it as food. Don’t overeat or you’ll get sick. Just the right amount is okay. It doesn’t have to be all or nothing. But if you find yourself consumed by social media, a short ‘fast’ or ‘social media detox’ can be a great reset. Set an alarm if you have to and choose a reasonable amount of time and hold that gentle boundary for yourself as an act of self-love.
Intuition is only accessible when we are present. It comes in immediately and if we are distracted we may miss those subtle waves. Now that you’re so excited to disconnect from your phone for a little bit each day, it may make sense to replace that time with some stillness, awareness and silence. The more you practice meditation, the more present you will feel in your daily endeavors so when your body is giving you intuitive signals you will be able to gracefully receive them. There are endless styles and forms of meditation to choose from. I suggest to make it as simple and uncomplicated as possible, whether you sit and look at a candle for ten minutes per day or chant ‘OM’ which is the seed sound for Ajna Chakra, the 6th energy center located between the eyebrows and corresponds to awakening intuition. You may also visualize the color violet or have an amethyst crystal around. You really don’t need anything besides yourself. And making the time to sit with no expectation. To simply slow down and be open to whatever shows up, even if it’s the discomfort of just sitting doing ‘nothing’! Eventually that will subside and more will be revealed from within…
4. PURIFY YOUR DIET
According to naturalpath.net, intuition and food are very connected. It is suggested that foods high in Alpha-Lipoic Acid can strengthen intuition. Alpha-Lipoic acid helps to protect against free radicals and protects cell membranes. Some research shows that Alpha-Lipoic Acid improves the function of neurons. At the end of the day, Alpha-Lipoic Acid and foods containing it help to reduce oxidative stress and inflammation in the body. When our body is functioning well, we are more able to listen to the messages it is sending.
Foods high in ALA include:
- Brussels sprouts
Also, foods that help to increase blood flow to the brain can be beneficial in enhancing your intuition.
- Organic berries
- Red grapes
- Swiss chard
- Red cabbage
- Green tea
- Dark chocolate (YAY, I know.)
And finally, foods high in OMEGA-3 fats literally build the structure of your brain, primarily the hippocampus which is connected to our intuitive abilities.
SOME OMEGA-3 FAT SOURCES:
- Egg Yolk
- Flax Seeds
- Pumpkin Seeds
- Chia Seeds
- Hemp Seeds
OBVIOUS BUT IMPORTANT REMINDER: Eating for intuition is not only about what you add to your diet but also what you subtract. Without clearing out space and letting go of the junk, energy may be blocked. Detoxing from and avoiding the foods that are compromising your body’s natural functioning such as processed artificial food is the key to reaching higher realms!
Recipe To Awaken Your Sixth Sense:
Courtesy of EatWellEnjoyLife
Hemp Pesto with Zucchini Noodles
Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Vegan, Paleo, Raw
½ cup hulled hemp seeds
¼ tsp Celtic sea salt
1 ¾ cup each lightly packed basil and parsley leaves
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 Tb fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
5 cup zucchini, spiralized or julienned (2-3 zucchini)
2 cups grape tomatoes, sliced in half lengthwise
¼ cup oil cured black olives, pitted and sliced
Celtic sea salt & fresh pepper
Prepare the Pesto
- Place hemp seeds and salt in a food processor fitted with the S blade. Grind till they’re powdery.
- Add the basil, parsley, garlic, lemon juice. Pulse until minced.
- With the machine on, gradually add the olive oil until incorporated. Taste for salt.
- Use immediately or store in a glass jar for up to 5 days.
Prepare the Noodles
- Use a spiralizer to get a curly “noodle” or a julienne tool or mandolin to get a straight “noodle”. Put into a medium bowl.
- Combine the zucchini with enough of the pesto to coat the “noodles”.
- Add the tomatoes and olives. Mix thoroughly. Taste for salt and pepper.
- Put onto individual serving plates.
- Garnished with a basil sprig. Serve immediately.
Intuition is such a great tool to have and can be applied to even the most basic daily acts such as eating. My strict dieting background was literally the opposite of intuitive eating. I was using my mind to control what I ate while focusing on what I ‘should’ and ‘shouldn’t’ eat, punishing myself for having cravings (which happen to be part of our intuitive systems) and completely ignoring my body’s signals by pushing it to its limit instead of giving it what it needs to feel healthy and whole… body and mind!
When people ask me if I’m a vegan or a vegetarian or any other type of eater, instead of subscribing to the label (which I have plenty of experience with as a former strict vegan for over ten years), I simply respond that I’m a ‘flexitarian’. Intuitive eaters are flexitarians. They are flexible. This allows you to get present with your eating instead of habituated. It forces to you maintain a connection with your body instead of just your mind. Your diet may look different on different days and under difference circumstances. But no matter what, you maintain balance. Instead of eating when and what you think you should, try eating when and what you feel your body is asking for. Trust yourself.
3 Steps To Eat Intuitively:
- Keep a food journal for one week. In addition to jotting down what you eat, also write down how you feel before, during and after your meals and snacks. Notice your mood.
- If your body feels like it wants a certain food, try this: Allow yourself to have it. Before eating, take a deep breath and offer gratitude to the food. And then eat it mindfully and slowly. Yep, kind of like an eating meditation!
- Before eating, ask yourself if you are hungry. Set an alarm if you have to as a reminder. Just one or two minutes, three times per day to close your eyes and go inside yourself. If you think you are hungry, make sure it is for physical food. Sometimes the hunger we think we feel for food is for other forms of nourishment such as healthy relationships, a fulfilling career and lifestyle, a consistent physical and spiritual practice and self-love. When we crave sweets, perhaps we are simply craving more sweetness into our lives. How can you make your life sweeter, spicier and jucier (is that word?!) instead of using food to fill that space. On the other hand, f you are hungry and you know you are hungry, eat. I used to starve myself so that’s a totally different story. Your higher self always knows what is needed. If you tend to deprive yourself of proper nourishment, check in with yourself at least three times per day and ask yourself if you are hungry. Notice what shows up and follow your highest wisdom. Your body is a temple through which you get to experience the magic of life! And it must be nourished with wholesome grounding foods. Food creates your body. You are a literally a work of art!
Speaking of Picasso-like things, last but not least on the list of Intuition Activation is…
If you desire to harmonize with your intuitive powers, you MUST prioritize playing. Paint, Draw, Journal, Dance. Try a new hobby. Make time for nothing. Put the phone away for thirty minutes (yep, even a half an hour does the trick). Go on a date with your inner child.
When we are in a place of creativity, we are in flow with life. Because life itself is creative. The force that manifested you and manifests all of life is the ultimate artist. When you remember your sacred role in this cosmic masterpiece, this is when the Universe downloads its most profound messages! In order to see that which already exists within you (your intuition) you must be present… when you are relaxed and absorbed in something that takes your attention, whether it’s meditation or another passion you are receptive. It’s not in the mind. It comes when the mind is silent. Just as the sun comes out once the clouds have passed by. Intuition is beyond mind. And it’s already within you at this very moment!
If you’ve made it this far, first of all you’re awesome. Secondly, WHAT A JOURNEY!
And last but not least…. What is your intuition telling you? What are you hungry for?
Don’t forget: WRITE IT DOWN! ;-)
P.S. Speaking of intuitive consumption, my current menu of life is filled with some delicious offerings for 2021. If you are looking to begin or deepen your yoga, meditation and healing journey, I am offering my 4th virtual 200-hr YTT in January 2021! Whether you want to teach yoga or simply invest in your self-care and personal development, this five week interactive training will provide you with the tools to stay grounded and connected to your center, especially during life’s challenges. It will be a deeply nourishing way to ring in the New Year. Check it out here and feel free to email me if you have any questions!